Responsibilities of a LA
1) Take a science pedagogy class for LA training.
- Most students will take this class in the same semester that they first serve as an LA, but it is also possible to take this class in advance.
- Starting Fall 2017, all pedagogy courses will be offered as SC220 courses. Please contact Dr. Jennelle Malcos (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be registered for SC220
2). Attend class sessions, recitation sections, or out of class homework sessions as assigned by the faculty in charge of the course that you LA for.
- Each LA must regularly attend classes for the course she or he supports.
3) Maintain open lines of communication with all of the instructors.
- Seek assistance in understanding all relevant course work that you will be facilitating.
- Bring to the attention concerns raised by students regarding the course.
- If a problem with a participant or fellow facilitator arises which is beyond a facilitator’s ability to handle, she or he should notify the instructor the LA Program Coordinator immediately.
4). Participate in other duties instructors may value.
- Take attendance at any out of class workshops
- Assisting in identifying and encouraging future LAs
- Mentoring other LAs and/or participate in their training
It is also important to know the ways in which LAs are not expected to serve. LAs do NOT:
- take the place of the instructor.
- take the place of Teaching Assistants.
- create course curriculum.
- grade critical assignments.
- have to be experts in the course.