Responsibilities of Faculty
1) Be open to engaged learning in the classroom
- Engaged learning means that students become active in their learning and have a voice in their education.
- Activities often include clicker questions, case students, problem sets, interactive games or worksheets.
2). Willingness to meet regularly and have open communications with LAs
- Faculty should plan on meeting weekly with LAs to discuss content, common misconceptions within the content, course climate, student issues and other feedback.
- Deeper conversations about how LAs are helping to achieve course goals/objectives or how assignments help achieve course goals/objectives with strengthen the instructional team.
- This does mean being open to different perspectives with the willingness to change.
3) Provide support for LAs with course material
- Faculty should provide access to necessary course content, including keys to activities (or discussion of correct answers)
4). Provide a final grade for LAs
- LAs receive 1 credit of SC240 or BIOL400 for their participation as a LA and will require a final grade
- Faculty are provided a general syllabus for SC240 from CESE that can be modified for individual courses
- All LAs should be given this syllabus and understand their specific responsibilities for the course they LA.
5). Assess the effectiveness of LAs
- This can be completed with SRTEs, focus groups, mid-semester evaluations, simple anonymous clicker questions or through conversations with students.